Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Why are you here? Part 3

I was a freshman at LW in 1990.  Yes, I went to LW.  Weird, I know.  I grew up going to church and went to a Christian grade school.  I believed in God and even had moments of ‘I dig God,’ but something struck me on a Tuesday in November of that year. 

I was pretty stoked (how’s that for a ‘90s terms!) about high school because it was so different from grade school.  Teachers weren't harping on you for every little thing and there were so many new people!  In particular, I had made friends with a few upperclassmen and that was a major thrill!  I danced for the first time at a dance (what a concept!), actually liked some of my classes, and best of all, I started to go out on the weekend with friends. 
 
It was about this time that I began being really conscious of how I felt about myself and my life.  Maybe when I was younger I just didn’t think about it.  But, now, with all this exciting stuff happening I knew that I could feel good about myself when I had had a good time.  Going out with my upperclassmen friends on the weekend was a huge part of whether I could feel good or not. 

It was pretty shaky ground to base my life upon, however.  Arguments with parents, criticism, a boring weekend, getting dumped, all of these made me feel crummy and depressed.  Still, most of the time, I was in good spirits.  Then came a fateful day.

4 comments:

  1. I can honestly relate. I came with no friends at the school and now I have some. It is a great experience to have. ~Yosenia Edmiston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is very important to have friends. Having at least one friend gives you one more person you can talk to. They are always there to help you out when you need it. when i was in middle school i did't have any real friends, but now that i have started a new section of my life her a West i feel like i finally have a good group of real friends that i can rely on. ~Hallie Harder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's an great thing to have friends and to hang out with them because it can help you can relieve stress. Also when you're around them you don't have to think about all the negative stuff that's going on in you're life and etc. Also the old school that I went to before it was a group of close friends that I hung out with and we're still trying to figure out new places we can hangout and stuff so we can all stay in touch and make time for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends help you when your down and you don't know what to do. Every one has had a bad day at school and we often needed help with something. - Christian Cogar

    ReplyDelete