Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Why Are You Here? Part 1

Why are you here?  It’s a question worth asking in anything you get involved with.  Could it be that God has you here at Lutheran West on purpose?  My guess is: yes. 
So, high school.  What do you want from it?  Ask yourself that question.  Don’t worry about what you’re supposed to say.  What do YOU want? 

Let’s start from the ground floor.  There is a survival element going on.  You may simply want someone to eat lunch with you or say hi to you.  Some of you came in with friends, some have none, but even if you know people, you may not have them in every class.  In this area, you need two things: patience and guts.  It will take you time to get comfortable.  You could look at this as a nerve-wracking tragedy or…you could see it as an adventure.  You’re going on the ride either way so you might as well find joy in it.  Either way, in time you, yes you, will actually have a table to sit at in the lunchroom and will have people to say hi to in less time than you expect. 

But you also need guts.  I’m an introvert, so I know this is hard, but look o u t w a r d.  Instead of waiting for someone to invite you to sit next to them in a class or at lunch, why don’t you do the asking?  At the end of class ask someone what the homework was again (even if you already know!).  Say hi to that upper classman who has a locker next to you.  If they grunt, oh well.  20 bucks says that next time they’ll respond.  When you step toward people you are saying to them “I care about more than myself.”  People will feel drawn to you and feel comfortable with you and, go figure, you’ll get the friends you were looking for.

BTW, I know this is majorly difficult for you if you consider yourself “quiet.”  Do it anyway.  You don’t have to be the life of the party.  You just have to make some “first move” gestures. 

Consider this:  You’re doing more here than just getting comfy.  You’re becoming more like Christ.  Paul wrote in one of his letters : “Don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.  Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.” Philippians 2: 3-4.

14 comments:

  1. This is great advice to get through high school. I think everyone who is just entering highschool should read this.-Messiah Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is super great advice for people that are first entering high school. Being a freshman at Lutheran West was/is an new experience. You will start to get comfortable after time. I love this article. ~Yosenia Edmiston

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't just great advice for freshman, but also for transfer students too. Figuring out high school is hard enough the first time but then having to do it again after being comfortable in an old environment is hard especially if you at least knew someone going into high school the first time. - Kelly Miles

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post is great for any student. Freshmen, new students or even transfers. It gives people an idea of how they should start talking to people and make friends. In high school, friendships can be important. -Callie Witnk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell that this was meaningful to a lot of people that read it. I really liked the bible verse that you used.
    -George Skliros 3rd period

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally could relate to what you explained about being a new freshman in a new school with a whole lot of different changes. I try to get out of my comfort zone and talk to people i don't normally talk to or i try to participate in class discussions so i can feel more comfortable with the people around me. Im still having some issues adjusting to the whole high school thing
    -Jasleen Delgado

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can personally relate to what you said here. I am a person with very high anxiety and stress levels and it was not easy for me to start the new school year off. I think that every freshmen should read this, but especially the fresh men who have high anxiety and and stress levels. i think it would be very helpful for them. ~Hallie Harder

    ReplyDelete
  8. I related very well to this post because going into high school I had 3 other friends and I kinda knew some other people from other friends but also I wanted to get to know other people too. I tried talking to other people and to get out of the shell that I've always been in, which was always letting other people talk to me first but I decided to flip the script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^ I forgot to mention my name at the end of my comment but it's ((Diamond Reels)).

      Delete
  9. I can relate to this personally sometimes. I feel that communicating can really help you and sometimes be the bigger person. I do feel more comfortable when I can talk to some people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Communicating can help people in many ways. Talking to a friend or a loved one can help them and you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talking to others may help people be more social. People need to speak to others instead of hoping to be spoken to. -Christian English

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is scary or difficult to take that first step sometimes. Just by doing those simple little greetings, could help a friendship grow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really interesting way that you found God. I feel that those greetings could really help me make friends. I also feel that my relationship with God will strengthen my relationships with friends, and family members.

    ReplyDelete