Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Is God a sucky Dad?

Let's rocket ahead seven years in my life.
My oldest daughter will be 16.
Here are three snapshots of our conversations:

"Hey, Dad.  My friends are going to Cedar Point on Saturday and wonder if I can go.  Jamie is going to go too, and I always feel a little weird around her.  She always does stupid stuff that gets me in trouble and so, I'm not sure if I should go.  Should I?"
"Yes."

"Hey, Dad.  I finished all my driver's ed. courses and I'm ready to take the test to get my license.  I'm soooo excited!  Can we pick a time to do it?"
"Later."

"Hi, Dad.  I really like this guy at school.  His name is Steven.  He asked me to go with him to this concert on Friday.  I'm reeeeally nervous.  I've never been on a real 'date' before.  I don't know what to expect or how to be.  What do you think?  Do you remember your first date?  And, I guess I should ask, can I go?"
"No."

Don't I seem like a sucky dad?  Clearly my daughter is letting me into her life and hoping for conversation, for interaction, for "just talking."  Of course, she needs an answer too, but that's not the only thing she's after.  She's after: relationship.

And, yet, this is how we talk about God isn't it?  We ask Him stuff and He just says either, Yes, No, or Later.  You might as well get yourself one of those 8 ball things you shake to get an answer. 

If this is all God has to offer, I'd say He's a pretty sucky dad.

But, I don't think He sucks.  Jesus said that eternal life is not just heaven.  He said it is "to know God" (John 17:3).  The Bible uses the word "know" to also talk about the intimacy between a husband and wife.  I'm not trying to be weird, but the comparison is important.  The greatest meaning in life comes from an open, honest, fun, relatable, deep "knowing" between yourself and your Father. 

So, don't settle for Yes, No, or Later.  There's so much more.

P.S. Mr Waugh's chapel that talked about Yes, No, or Later is honestly a helpful starting point so this isn't a dis on what he said!  I just wanted to take the conversation farther.    

No comments:

Post a Comment