Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Homecoming-Tips for the Guys

I remember my first Homecoming dance in 1990.  It was a complete blast.  I had never been to a formal dance before.  Grade school dances were just plain stupid.  High school was a completely different story. 

For freshman year homecoming I went with a bunch of friends and, honestly, that was easy.  It was my sophomore year when it got complicated because, for the first time, I went with a date. 

Some of you are probably going with a date and, if you are an underclassman, that may be a pretty new thing for you.  So, in light of that, I wanted to throw a few ideas out to the guys in particular.

Ok, so first, accept that it will feel a bit (or a lot) awkward.  You may like the girl you’re taking, or you may not be sure.  Or she may like you, or you’re not sure, or she’s not sure.  Ugh!  Regardless, you’ve got a chance to practice being a gentleman.  That’s not an insignificant thing.  That is a GREAT thing.  There are a lot of men out there who are selfish jerks, and, unfortunately, they give the rest of us a bad name.  So, give men a good name and have fun treating a girl like gold.

Let’s start with practicals:  Look and smell nice.  How?  Here’s a few things: wear deodorant, brush your teeth reeeeally well, floss (seriously-bad breath is commonly from unflossed teeth), cut your nails, shave (even if you don’t have much to shave yet!), get a haircut, and my favorite: carry around Altoids.  You know those “curiously strong mints” that you can buy at Target.  Keep a few in your pocket.  Pop one just before you walk into her house.  Pop one after you are done with dinner.  Pop one before a slow dance. 
Oh, yeah, and if you can get a hold of some cologne, spray a little bit on your hands and put it on your neck. 

These details may seem so annoying since guys don’t usually think a whole lot about appearance etc., but girls are impressed when a guy does these things because they say to her: I am thinking about you. 

Ok, so, what the heck do you talk about?  Ask her lots of stuff.  In fact, think beforehand about what
to ask her about.  Want to treat a girl well?  Talk to her and learn about her.  I know we’re different, guys.  She just has to flick her hair and wear a cute dress and we have melted.  But her?  She wants a guy to be interested in her: her thoughts, her life, her interests, her feelings.  Now it’s just a dance.  It doesn’t need to be deep, but there are a million things you probably don’t know about your date that would be great fodder for conversation.

Now what if you have a date, but you go to dinner with friends.  Don’t ignore her.  Don’t just talk to your guy friends at dinner.  Still ask her questions.  Don’t interrogate her, but again, show that you’re thinking about her.

Now, the dance.  If you’re a typical American male, you haven’t done a whole lot of ‘fast’ dancing in your life.  The same was true of me when I was a freshman.  This isn’t sage wisdom here, but: try it.  You’ll feel like a dork, but just start moving your feet and don’t leave your hands completely at your side.  The easiest thing is to try to mimic the people around you. 

Slow dancing is much easier because you just have to rock.  The awkward thing is: how much space between you?  It depends on the nature of your relationship with your date.  If you’re not dating, don’t get too cozy.  On the other hand, don’t leave an entire ruler’s length between you.  It looks and feels weird.  It may feel strange to talk about this, but accept that a little bodily contact is not a big deal. 

Let’s be honest.  You’re touching a girl; it’s not something you do every day, unless you’re dating.  Needless to say, it will probably turn you on.  You’re not a pervert for feeling that.  You’re a man.  Still, it can make dancing feel a bit ‘intense.’  A way to chill yourself out a bit is to talk to your date.  Find something to laugh about.  Make fun of the couple across the floor that is dancing funny.  Whatever.  Either way you’ll get your mind somewhere else and, plus, it will be fun for you and your date.

What about your hands?  Again, depends on your relationship to your date.  Are you just friends, or interested, but still getting to know each other?  Hands on her back are the safest place.  It’s sweet, but not suggestive.  If you’ve been dating for a while, it may be okay to put your hands on her waist.  It’s obviously more intimate so, just be aware of what you’re doing. 

Should you kiss her at the end of the night?  Again, depends.  Here’s just my opinion: if you’re not dating, don’t.  Maybe you want her to know that you really do like her.  You don’t need to kiss her to let her know that.  Here’s a much easier, and, honestly a meaningful way, to let her know.  Say this, “Hey, I had a really good time tonight.  Thanks for going with me.”  She will melt like a slushy in the sunshine if you say that.  Then give her a hug.  And if you’re really brave, say, “Let’s hang out again sometime.”  Cue the fireworks.

Ok, I know my readers aren’t big on posting comments, but, if you’re a girl, it would be awesome to get any other recommendations here for our guy readers.  Thanks!

18 comments:

  1. I really could not have put it better. Some guys think that being "romantic" or getting dressed up is "gay" well I can tell you that I am a girl and we APPRECIATE it! When you actually tie your tie or put some cologne on we know your trying to impress us. Girl's like it when you try to impress us, it makes us feel like you really care. I know that I have had a boyfriend for over a year and all those little things still matter! Luckily I found someone who does all those little things(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. It's great to get a girl's perspective! It sounds like you've got a good guy too!
      Like you said, details matter to girls and sometimes guys don't realize that.

      Delete
  2. I found this helpful, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. It's always my goal to write stuff that I wish someone would have told me when I was younger. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot, this article helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I am thinking about taking a girl this year and you have me the confidence to ask her. And what to do since this is the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Part of being a guy is being the one to make the move. If it fails, it sucks, but you can take comfort in the fact that you were a man and took the risk.

      Delete
  6. Hey, what about dinner? Before or after? And what are some tips for some conversation starters and fodder? And maybe a recommendation for a resteraunt? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good questions. When it comes to conversations, start with easy-to-talk about items like, "Seen any movies lately?" Then switch to "What are you fav movies?" You can do the same for TV. If you're with someone who is involved with an activity (sports, drama, dance) that's always a fun thing to ask about. Also, if you know their interests, always ask about those: video games, music, drawing, art, reading etc. To keep a conversation going, get good at giving good cues like, "oh!" and "mmhm" and "really" and "cool!". It sounds silly, but it makes them realize you're interested. Then ask lots of follow up questions. So, let's say they mention a movie they've seen, you can ask, "Who was in that again?" "What was the story about?" "Was it funny?" "What other movie was that actor in?" "Would you see it again?" "What movie theater did you go to?" "Did they have those reclining seats?"

    When it comes to restaurants, I wish I had better ideas. Lots of teens tend to go to chains like Olive Garden or Apple Bees. I think some classier places would include The Cheesecake Factory or Nemos. Here are two that are more upscale casual: The Mellow Mushroom, Sweet Melissa's or The Melt Bar and Grilled. Hope some of these help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life saver! read this 1 hr before homecoming..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just read this great article and I'm going with my best friend I really like her and I think she may feel the same so I want to impress her friends before the dinner and I just wanted to know some good tips/conversation starters to get her friends interested in me any good ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, thanks for asking! My first reaction is: don't worry about impressing her friends. Ultimately, you want to impress her. If you can do that, the friends will be impressed naturally I think.

    So, conversation starters. Ok, I'm shooting from the hip here. I sort of depends on how comfortable everyone is with each other. One really fun thing is to have a bunch of questions on small slips of paper. They can be things like "What's the funniest thing that ever happened to you?" "If you could go back in time, what would you do?" "What is your perfect dessert?" and so on. Then everyone picks one out of a cup or something. Then the first person asks their question to anyone at the table. After that person answers, they ask someone else their question. The key is that you can't ask someone who has already been asked. It's a fun way to get everybody involved and usually it gets so much conversation going that it takes the whole meal to finish.

    Ok, but I'm realistic, you have to be willing to be the point person to initiate this-You'll have to bring it up and start it off. But here's an idea: ask your date if she likes the idea and the two of you can come up with the questions together before homecoming. Then you're both leading it. Plus, that gets the two of you to do something fun together-big plus for your hopes that you two will get beyond friends!

    Besides that, just easy questions like, "Seen any good movies lately?" or "Hey, have you done that project in English class yet?" or "Do you watch (insert TV show)?" Anything to get something rolling. Then, you play the "keep-it-going" game where you ask follow questions about whatever they say.

    I hope that gives you something to go on. The big deal overall, though, is to just be sweet, kind, and funny with your date. Open the door, joke with her, ask her how she likes her meal, compliment her." That's the stuff that really counts.

    God's blessings on your homecoming! I hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that the question game I mentioned above (with questions on slips of paper) is dependent on being with a group. Since you mentioned her friends, I figured you were eating with a group. If not, you could still do it, but you would just go back and forth between the two of you. I think you both would get a kick out of it and have a really great time of conversation!

      Delete
  11. Thanks this is really going to help me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much, I just got a date for homecoming and as a freshman I have no idea what to expect, especially since I am the oldest of my siblings and my parents would just tease me or make fun of me if I said I had a date.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a friend who asked me to homecoming as friends. We are both freshmen and go to different schools. Although, I want to be more than friends without scaring her away or pushing it. Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete