Thursday, August 28, 2014

Nerves: how to chill them out

Nerves!  Ah! 

One thing that helped me tremendously was simply this: realizing that nerves are normal (there are some of us who have abnormal nervousness, but I'll talk about that later). 

You're body is pretty smart and God made it that way.  It is designed to send you shots of adrenaline (that's what nervousness is) to give you extra-normal strength and speed when you are in danger.  So, when you are in a new situation, it can seem dangerous, to your insides.  For one, be thankful your body is doing its job.  It also means you're not a weirdo.

But can you stop it?!  There are a lot of things you can do. 

First, do some mind work.  You may need to tell your mind: hey, this isn't dangerous-chill out! Fight the lies your mind is feeding you.  Tell yourself, "You can do this.  You've done it before."  Or "God is here right now.  I'll be okay."

Maybe your mind spirals into "What if...this or this happens?"  I went to a counselor once who said,
"If you ask "What if?" then answer the question.  What if it really did happen?"  She remarked that often you will find that it wouldn't be the end of the world (and, besides, it probably won't happen anyway).

Second, do some physical work.  If you are in a setting where your heart is thumping and nerves are racing try this: breathe in while counting to 4 (as in 1000 one, 1000 two, etc.).  Exhale while counting to 4.  Continue.  Your heart rate will go down.  It's not instantaneous, but it will work eventually; just focus on counting.  Trust me, I've done it on numerous airplane flights!  Plus, you can do it without anyone knowing it.

If your mind is quick to walk down the road of all the things that could happen, another idea is to wear a rubber band around your wrist.  When the "what ifs" start coming, snap it (not enough to leave a mark, but enough to put a little sting).  It 'wakes you up' so to speak.  Then, recite a Bible verse or some phrase that will encourage you.

Finally, invite Father into your situation.  He cares.  He really does!  One of my favorite comments in the Bible is from Peter who wrote "Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you" (I Peter 5:7)  I sometimes have had to imagine taking my worries into my hand and chucking them (aka casting) on Father.  So, chuck away!  Multiple times if necessary!

Also, try what are called "breath prayers."  They are short prayers or Bible verses that you say when you do slow breathing.  You breathe in and when you exhale you say something like, "I cast my cares on you" or "Father, love me" or "Calm my spirit" or "Give me strength" or whatever works.  This way you calm your body, but also your spirit as you direct your attention to the words, the truth, and your Father.

There are two other issues I'll address in another post.  What if your nervousness if actually more than normal?  Also, what if your life circumstances are causing your anxiety?

1 comment:

  1. It is a nice reminder that we're not alone when it comes to struggling with anxiety. I have battled anxiety for a while, but the last three years is when it became more present in my life. I have a tried a little bit of everything you mentioned in this post, so it's nice to know that I am at least trying to cope with it the 'right' way.

    ReplyDelete