Friday, September 26, 2014

How to get a guy to listen to you

Ok, let's say you like a guy, but are having a hard time getting his attention.

Or, you like a guy and want to get him a little more into you.

Or, even outside of the "crush realm", maybe there's a guy in your life (dad, coach, brother, whatever) that you want to have meaningful talks with, but it doesn't seem to happen.

Try this.

Whenever you are trying to understand men, keep this picture in your head:

This is the very heart of every guy as Father designed him: He wants to be a girl's hero.  This motivates him in almost every area of life.

This explains why some guys show off, why some guys are really helpful, why guys act differently when girls are around, and even why some guys are jerks (keep in mind they don't always know what girls really want, so they often guess wrongly).

When I was a kid, my family would go on bike rides.  My family consisted of my brother and I, my dad, and my mom.  The guys tended to want to bike really fast, but my mom was slow.  I can still picture the day when my dad and brother took off, leaving my mom behind.  I decided to wait for her. My mom thanked me for waiting.  That puffed me up so much that I did that over and over when we went on rides.  I felt like I had rescued my mom!

Ok, so back to the point: how do you get a guy to listen to you?

Change your wording to show that you need his help.

Instead of just sharing something you saw, heard, or did, say something like, "I heard something at lunch today.  I'm curious of what you think about it."

or

"So, what do you think about...?"

or

Give him a scenario and ask, "What do you think I should do?"

Notice the repetition of 1. asking for his help and 2. the word "think".

Men don't just have opinions; they ARE their opinions.  What they think is at the core of who they are.

And they love to offer their opinions, especially when a girl thinks their opinions could help them.

If you can tap into a guy's thoughts, then, and make him believe you value it, then you have a good chance at winning a guy's heart.

And winning a guy's heart is what you want.  If it is a guy you like, he'll warm up to you because he's wired to help any damsel in distress.  If it is someone in your family, a friend, or someone you have to work with in group work, you'll create a devoted helper.


No comments:

Post a Comment