Monday, May 12, 2014

Teacher Superlatives: Should I care?

The other day our school, as some of you know, announced Teacher Superlatives at the beginning of
chapel.  It was a nice gesture, of course.  The funny part was that while myself and another teacher lead worship on alternate chapel days, he was awarded “most musically talented.”  I happened to be up front prepared to lead worship after the superlatives were done and an “oooo” rumbled through the crowd.

Throughout the rest of the school day students stopped in to mention that they thought I should have gotten that superlatives and I could tell they sincerely felt bad for me.  One of the student council members, who created the superlatives list, even stopped in to encourage me about it.
Here’s the irony: I didn’t care. 

Don’t get me wrong.  I appreciate what people said and that they cared about me, but clearly the value I place on Teacher Superlatives and the value students see in them is very different. 

This begs the question: Whose opinion should matter?  I’d like to say that “I don’t care what people think,” but c’mon, nobody can say that truthfully. 
Since the opinion of others does matter, we would do well to figure out which ones to take to heart. 

As always, I would argue that God’s opinion must be primary.  Psalm 62 says, “He is my rock and my fortress.  I will never be shaken.”  I rest, did you catch the word? I rest in God’s surrounding love of me.  Everyone can reject me, and that would be awful, but I rest knowing that “nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8). 
After that, I ask, “Who knows me the most?  Who knows who I really am and actually cares about me?”  This isn’t just the people that you have fun with.  I can have fun with people who don’t ultimately care about me.  But the people that know me best, they are the ones who I take seriously and allow them some sway in how I feel about myself.  For me, my wife is this person.  But I also have two guy friends that would fall into this category, after my wife, of course.

Who is it for you?  Is it a family member?  Sometimes we may miss the fact that, in many cases, they truly do know us and care.  Yet, it may not always be the case.  Could it be a friend or friends?  Again, be careful.  Do they really know you?  Do they really care about you?  Don’t let them sway your self-worth if you can’t answer yes to both of these.  The same questions are true when it comes to a boyfriend or girlfriend. 
Another possibility is someone you look up to, like an adult, say a teacher, pastor, aunt or uncle, coach, etc.

All in all, opinions do matter.  Start first by telling God, “Father, help me truly to rest in your opinion of me over everyone else’s.  I surrender my fears of others’ opinions and need you to help me feel secure and worthy and enjoyed in your love.”
Then begin to figure out whose opinions count and where do they land on your priority list.  You’ll find yourself having a much easier time blowing off stuff like “Superlatives.”

No comments:

Post a Comment