Wednesday, January 23, 2013

True Believer

There’s nothing that gets my attention like raw honesty.  That’s what I felt like we got on Tuesday from Coach Bancroft.  There was a man taking the risk to bare his soul and I think people felt it.  He brought an interesting term: true believer.  He felt like he made a transition from a believer to a true believer this year. 

What was the difference?  When he was a believer, he said that he believed in God, but felt like the way to make it through life was to keep positive and trust that everything would work out.  He said when life was really crappy that concept fell apart.  It’s interesting that something negative was what made him draw close to God in a new way.  That’s why I feel like becoming a true believer, or, as I would put it, connecting with God on a personal level is really the most authentic way to live.
In this way of living we own up to the fact that things may not always turn out nicely.  We acknowledge that real life and real relationships (even with Him) are often messy and take lots of work, but…these are the places we find the deepest and most satisfying meaning.  And in that struggle we don’t wish, but instead we trust that God wants to know us intimately and will work through all the things life gives us to make us the person He (and we) longs for us to be.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree...God is near to those of a broken and contrite spirit (Psalm 34:18; 51:17). I have certainly experienced a HUGE breaking down of religious concepts and ideals that I once held (and it's still going on). Was it fun? By no means. Would I trade it in to go back to what I had before? NO WAY!!!

    ReplyDelete