Friday, January 25, 2013

Les Misérables and small things

My wife and I finally got to see the new musical film version of Les Mis last night.  There are great movies out there, but this one was striking…in the gut and heart.  From the first time I saw the 1998 version (that we’re watching in English right now) I was struck by the bishop’s actions at the beginning.  The rest of the story shows Valjean’s transformation, but it all started with one man’s kindness.  That bishop had been stolen from and hit (at least in the 1998 version) by a man that he welcomed into his home and had been so gracious to.  Yet, he covers for him when Valjean is apprehended and says such amazing words: “Now don’t forget.  Don’t ever forget it.  You promised to become a new man.  Jean Valjean my brother, you no longer belong to evil. With this silver, I have bought your soul. I've ransomed you from fear and hatred, and now I give you back to God.”

That act changed everything about how Valjean saw himself and then how he saw others, even those that gave him reason to hate.  This is like the beautiful act of our sweet God who gave himself for us. 

What little acts can you and I do today that will touch a life forever?  But before we get so heroic, let’s not forget that it is the small acts of love that make the difference.  Mother Theresa once said, “We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment