Monday, April 14, 2014

Darkness is my closest friend

Check this out.  This is a Psalm in the Bible.  Psalm are songs to God.  This is Psalm 88 (I cut out parts to shorten it).  Be prepared for some surprising lyrics:

Lord, you are the God who saves me;
    day and night I cry out to you.
May my prayer come before you;
    turn your ear to my cry.
I am overwhelmed with troubles    and my life draws near to death.
I am counted among those who go down to the pit;
    I am like one without strength.
    my eyes are dim with grief.

I call to you, Lord, every day;
    I spread out my hands to you.
13 But I cry to you for help, Lord;
    in the morning my prayer comes before you.
14 Why, Lord, do you reject me
    and hide your face from me?
15 From my youth I have suffered and been close to death;
    I have borne your terrors and am in despair.
16 Your wrath has swept over me;
    your terrors have destroyed me.
17 All day long they surround me like a flood;
    they have completely engulfed me.
18 You have taken from me friend and neighbor—
    darkness is my closest friend.
I love this because this shows again that the Bible is not a book about a fantasy life.  It's not a book about perfection.  It's a book about reality, real life, with real people who have doubts and pain. 

I need my God to know real life.  I need to know that He gets it, that He isn't surprised by my sometimes raging emotions.  The fact that this Psalm is in His book proves to me that He does.

I don't think we have to believe that the writer of this Psalm is right either.  There are numerous things in here that are wrong (I don't believe God terrorizes us, for example).  This isn't intended as a teaching.  It's intended to be art, and art expresses our interior world.  Sometimes that world is scary and irrational. 

Regardless, we have a God, who says, don't run from me when you are scared, angry, or sad.  Run TO me.  Give me your true self.  That's a God worthy of love.

 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment