Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Comparing Ourselves: What About Him?

Comparison.  We all do it.
In grade school I remember being mad that some girl beat me out of the valedictorian spot. 
Going to Cedar Point was also interesting as I would look at others in the line and try to act cooler than them.
As a teen, I wanted so much to dress like the burn out crowd, but still with some class because I also wanted to hang with my honors English friends. 
I learned to push my glasses up right (like cool people do with their sunglasses, not in the middle like a 'nerd').
Comparison goes much deeper, though.  When we consider God's call on our lives, it's easy to think: What about him?  or her?  I'm not as bad as that guy.  I can't be as good as that girl. 
After Jesus kicks the grave, he visits Peter and John (John 21) and they have a little picnic on the shore.  Jesus keeps giving Peter this mission for his life: Feed my lambs, He says.  He even tells him that he will get in trouble and will get taken advantage of. 
While this resurrected Son of God is foretelling Peter's mission and challenges, Peter has an interesting thought on his mind: He looks at John and asks Jesus, "What about him?"

Comparison. 

But here's a cool response from Jesus.  "What is that to you?  You follow me." 

In essence, he's saying, "Peter, I'm talking about you here.  I've got a plan for you.  It's not the same as John's over there.  What I've got in mind for him is between me and John.  Don't worry about what   You focus on my heart for you and follow me."
he's doing.

Jesus is not asking you to be like someone else or be someone else.  He's not pressuring you to follow some robotic process of turning into someone that you're not. 

He has a meaningful life for y o u.  And He wants y o u to follow Him, in the way He is calling.  So what is He calling y o u to do and be?  You may not know.

Begin asking Him, and learn to listen to the Spirit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment