Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Response to Megan's Chapel

Sometimes I like to share reactions to chapels and I thought Megan's was to be a good one to do that.  Often my reactions come from feeling that the speaker was somehow inaccurate or incomplete.  Quite honestly, Megan said everything that I often want to say about relationships and some! 

I loved (ha! and that's the topic:) that she balanced both of these views:
1. God loves love
2. Yet, we have to keep it from becoming an idol.

Love is such a profound experience because it's not just fun.  It taps into feeling worth something as a person and feeling desired, wanted, and enjoyed.  These are the same reasons many find hope in God.  They wonder if their life has purpose, if anyone cares about them.  To discover that those things are true is to feel truly l o v e d. 

Love from the opposite sex can seem to fill that need and that makes it easy to worship it.  It's no mistake that many worship songs could be love songs if you just change the pronouns!

Megan went into a lot of great ways to not idolize your love so I won't do that.  Needless to say, there is a beauty in bringing God into your relationship and His dreams be a part of yours.

My favorite part (and there were many, so I'm narrowing down!) was after Megan, rightfully, praised her boyfriend for being a great guy that changed a lot about her, she acknowledged that it is possible that they could break up.  This is key.  She was stating that what she learned about relationships and God was not tied to whether or not she and Robert eventually marry. 

She said that if we ever break up, I still have God.  My relationship with my wife is paramount to my life.  I can't imagine life without her.  Yet, I could lose her or she could lose me to, let's be honest, death.  But, I know that since we both have let ourselves be loved and have grown to love Father, we each could carry on.  We have something to live for that is not the other.  And because of that, we feel free to honestly love each other more.  It's kind of along the lines of the principle that if you let off the pressure you can be more real with each other. 

I also wanted to comment on the idea of going to far emotionally.  It was a really interesting concept.  Alas, I have class, so maybe next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment