Friday, February 14, 2014

Dirty Fingernails


I liked this quote from Nadia Bolz-Weber in her book Pastrix:

Resurrection never feels like being made clean and nice and pious like in those Easter pictures.  I
would have never agreed to work for God if I had believed God was interesting in trying to make me nice or even good.  Instead, what I subconsciously knew, even back then, was that God was never about making me spiffy; God was about making me new.

"It happens to all of us," I concluded that Easter Sunday morning.  "God simply keeps reaching down into the dirt of humanity and resurrecting us from the graves we dig for ourselves through our violence, our lies, our selfishness, our arrogance, and our addictions.  And God keeps loving us back to life over and over."

There are times when I hear my name, turn, and recognize Jesus.  There are times when faith feels like a friendship with God.  But there are many other times when it feels more adversarial or even vacant.  Yet none of that matters in the end.  How we feel about Jesus or how close we feel to God is meaningless next to how God acts upon us.  How God indeed enters into our messy lives and loves us through them, whether we want God's help or not.  And how, even after we've experienced some sort of resurrection, it's never perfect or impressive like an Easter bonnet, because, like Jesus, resurrected bodies are always in rough shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment