Monday, July 22, 2013

Jesus didn't write a book


For the last year or so I’ve been writing my autobiography.  I’m expecting it to be a bestseller on Amazon and to hit the New York Times bestseller list.  I’m going to start a website to promote it and then go on tour to various Barnes and Nobles stores throughout the country. 

I hope you’re laughing inside because…that ain’t never happenin’!  But I am actually writing my autobiography.  Why?  For my kids.  I want to try to capture all those nuggets that God has taught me along the way so that I can pass those along to all my girls. 

Let’s be honest, though.  They probably won’t read it until they’re like…forty.  While I hope they get something out of it, the reality is that the best “book” I can give them is me.  My real life interaction with them is what is going to make the most impact on their lives.

Jesus didn’t…write a book.

When our Father wanted to share His heart with the world, He didn’t write a book, He came in person.  There is a lot of talk amongst us Christians about reading the Bible, memorizing verses, and being biblical.  We say we want to live by the Word of God.  You know what’s funny?  The Bible doesn’t call itself “The Word of God.”  What is the Word of God then?  Jesus, a person. 

Our Abba wanted to show what He was really like and ‘spoke’ it through His Word, Jesus (John 1). 
It’s so easy to think that having a friendship with a book makes us a friend with God, but that’s like going to a school makes you a personal friend of the principal. 

Read the Bible.  It’s an incredible gift to have the record of the actions, words, and heart of what Jesus did and how that affected his followers.  But let’s not miss the person.

My wife has written me so many sweet, encouraging, romantic notes and letters over the years. 
Sometimes I like to read them again.  I also like when she emails me or leaves a voicemail when I’m at work.  But you know what I want to do more than rereading or listening to those?  I want to go home and take that woman in my arms! 

So, yes, read the book, but don’t miss the Person.  Talk to Him, listen to Him, laugh with Him, look for Him, ask Him, cry with Him, yell at Him, smile at Him, enjoy Him, love Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment