Thursday, April 25, 2013

Married to God? Teen Spirituality Part 3

Tough conversations

I had another topic in mind for this post, but something else came up.  Last night Beth and I had a tense conversation.  As it deals with family I’ll leave out the details.  Needless to say my wife felt slighted by somethings done by relatives and I didn’t help the situation.  My immediate internal reaction was to defend myself and say she was being too sensitive, but I remember hearing from someone that when in a conflict don’t assume things about the other person-listen for their heart.
So, I worked hard to keep in my thoughts and just try to understand my wife’s heart and how this had hurt her.  I tried to communicate back that I understood how she felt that way and I apologized for my role in it. 
A little later we talked more about it and I explained my actions in the situation.  I didn’t try to defend myself, but just explain.  I also communicated that I would work on being different in those settings in the future.  I made a point to thank Beth for having the honesty to share what she did. 

I don’t like these kinds of conversations.  Who does?  Sometimes I’d rather avoid them.  But then I consider that this is the stuff of real relationships: facing the crud honestly…and together.
I think this applies to God too.  When I feel like He’s asking me to do something or change something, I want to try to hear His heart.  Instead of just reacting, I want to consider what is the bigger picture that the Lord has in mind?  When I read some story in the Bible, I am trying to ask: “What does this reflect about Your heart, Dad?”

But I also believe that our Abba wants our honesty too.  Abraham reasoned with God about the destruction of Sodom.  Jesus even argued with His Father about the cross when He prayed in the garden.  We are partners in life with the Lord.  Sometimes sharing life includes tough conversations. 
 Are there some tough conversations you need to have with your Abba?  Are you carrying around some pent up anger or disappointment with Him?  Are there things that you know the Spirit is encouraging you to do or change that you need to listen to His heart about?  It’s time for an honest talk.

I find that every time my wife and I go through a difficult time or discussion we always come out closer in the end because we work hard to be open, to be kind, and to listen.  God is that way to us and it’s a joy to be that way with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment