Friday, April 19, 2013

Married to God? Teen Spirituality Part 1

How the heck do you relate to God?  I mean He’s God for crying out loud!  That's really awkward!


Read the Bible.  Pray.  Go to church.  But…why do some of us do those things and still feel like we don’t connect with God in any meaningful way?
I’ve figured it out, though.  You can relate to God by meeting my wife.  J

No, really.  Here’s the thing about God (that a lot of church talk doesn’t always recognize): God is relational.  Go figure.  I mean, He is the one who made us in HIS image.  His “life story” is largely about making bridges of friendship with us.  One of the best ways we can gather on how to relate to Him, then, is by observing how relationships work.  And more specifically, how good, healthy, life-giving relationships work. 
Consider how you relate to a person in your family that you’re really tight with.  Or how you connect with a really good friend. 

For me, the first relationship I think of is: my marriage.  Now, I know you guys (the teens at least who read these posts) aren’t married, but I think this is worth something.  In a handful of upcoming posts I’d like to share some observations of how I’ve learned to relate to my wife in order to learn how we can relate to our Abba (Father).
The cool thing is that hopefully we’ll all learn to connect with God more realistically, but also learn a bit about marriage and relationships too.    

No comments:

Post a Comment