Thursday, May 7, 2015

Does it matter what I watch, play, or listen to? Part 1

Recently, someone asked me a very important question:

If you play a video game that involves shooting people, does God dislike or hate that game? Or if you enjoy watching a show like Breaking Bad, does God disapprove of that show because it is unethical to cook meth?
I'd love to hear your opinion on this as I'm sure it's a huge concern for teens and others in general. No one wants a little conscience running around telling you that you aren't allowed to enjoy things anymore because you're a Christian.
There is so much to say here and I may have to break it into several posts.

First of all, if you are asking the question it speaks well of you as a person.  The fact that you can recognize that some forms of entertainment may be at odds with your faith shows that you care enough about your faith to face that issue.

Honestly, I would say most Christians live compartmentalized lives, meaning that they relegate parts of their lives to 'religious things' (church, chapel, prayer, service) and other parts to 'secular things' (entertainment, relationships, family, career, school).  Instead of facing the challenges of bringing the two together, it's easier to just separate them.

This explains to me why a guy that I went to high school and college with who would adamantly defend his Christian faith could also, while in line at the cafeteria in college, say to a friend that if he saw a gay person holding hands with another guy he would punch him in the face (I overheard this conversation without his knowledge).  So, in the "big picture" he believes in love and mercy, but in the everyday, that rarely affects his 'secular' life choices.

In essence, I would say there is a difference between the "religious" person and the person on a journey with the Father.  A religious person follows important rituals such as church attendance, occasional prayer, and maybe even some sort of religious education like a Bible study or Sunday school class.  Religion is a set of expectations that they adhere to either apathetically (because their family does for example) or even ardently.  It is akin to commitment to a political party.  There is a commitment, maybe even fervent, but it rarely spills over into 'normal' life.

On the other hand, there are people who are on a journey with the Father.  They may or may not follow traditional religious practices, but either way, at the core of their soul is a desire to love and be loved by God.  Much like my life with my wife affects everything I do, so these people see their relationship to Father this way.  Life is a journey to know Him through Jesus, a journey to learn how to live in the Father's affection and, then to naturally find your life reflecting the values of the one you love. 

Where am I going with all of this?  The religious person, when it comes to entertainment, if they ask the question at all, will approach it from a level of expectations.  If I am a Christian, what am I allowed to do or not do?  Is this video game or watching this type of movie or listening to such and such music sinful or not? 

The issue of one of rules.  It is a good question, but ultimately a surface one.  It tends toward asking, "What can I get away with and still be a good Christian?"

I would suggest the better question is: am I a religious person, or am I someone who feels deeply loved by God?  The answer to this, I believe, is much more important to God than what TV shows you're watching.

If you are of the latter, the question concerning entertainment becomes very different.  When you are loved, truly loved, rules are not part of the issue.  Instead, you realize that the Father loves you and wants the best for you and your life and your relationship together.  So, you can ask, "Father, I know you love me and my soul and I want to be careful with it.  Does ______________ cause me harm in any way?  Is there something here that you would want me to change?"

See, this person doesn't need to assume that God's answer for them is His answer for everyone else.  Just like I have to parent each of our children a little different because they are each different personalities, so God relates to us each differently because He knows us and our differences so well.

So, for the person living in the Father's affection, I would say: engage with Him.  Talk to Him about your entertainment choices.  Don't assume answers just because you've heard them from others.  But be patient and trust that if you ask you will receive.  James says in chapter 1, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives graciously."  Trust that God will speak to you in time and that you, yes you, have the Spirit of God in you and can indeed 'hear' him through your thoughts and heart.

I have so much more to say because this is a complex issue, but for now I'll leave you with a few other items that I'll address in the future:
-Does it matter how others see my entertainment choices?
-Have you, Mr. Maechner, dealt with any of these issues?
-What do I do with the fact that, like it or not, I like somethings that are not good?

No comments:

Post a Comment