Friday, October 12, 2012

What to Expect When You're Expecting

My wife and I watched What to Expect When You're Expecting the other day (We actually got it from Redbox instead of the library this time!).  We figured it would just be a fun flick, but it was actually really good and really funny.  There's this one group of dads who always walk in the park with their kids.  They always like to stop by and talk to this one dude who is totally buff (and, of course has no kids).  Everyone gives him a high five, but he always leaves one particular nerdy dad hanging.  It's really pretty funny. 

This got me to thinking how often we spend our days wanting to have everyone's approval.  Sometimes I feel like a politician.  When people ask politicians a question, the politician is not really thinking about the answer.  They're thinking about how to say things so people like them.  I know I spend a lot of my thoughts thinking about how to say things so people will see me a certain way.  I want to rather think about being who I really am and thinking about what other people really need. 


Unfortunately, being true to yourself, to others, and to our Father, opens up the reality that some people won't like us.  It's like Jesus said, "Don't be suprised when people hate you/persecute you because of me."  So, there's my challenge for you...and for me.

PS. As always, when I reference a movie it doesn't mean that I think everything in it is "appropriate."  Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment