Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Church or Apartment?

A lot of you read my story in the "Why Are You Here?" series.  After that all happened, I realized I wanted to get closer to God.  I thought church would be an important part of it.  You know what, I tried and tried to like church.  I tried to say the words in the liturgy like I meant them; I tried my hardest to sing all the hymns I didn't know with gusto; I even did my darndest to follow the sermon.  No matter what, it felt like shoving dry broccoli down my throat.

Then I got an invite to a Bible study at a teacher's house.  It was led by my art teacher, Miss Sakata.  I had no idea what to expect.  I went with my friend Mark (the one who spoke in chapel).  There were all these students there, most of them upperclassmen, that were totally into Jesus.  First, we sang some songs.  One of my first real acts of faith was to sing.  And, wow, God met me through those simple tunes.  Then someone, usually Miss Sakata, though sometimes a student, shared some insight about a part of the Bible.  After that we got in groups to share some things we could use prayer for.  I had never had a place where I could open up.  It was weird, but I could tell my heart liked it.

So, that became my church.  I still went to my 'church-church,' the place with the steeple, but the place where I met God, learned more, and felt encouraged and supported in my faith was a second floor apartment. 

Do you want something like this?  If so, Mr. Waugh has a Bible study going at his house in Westlake on Mondays at 7pm.  It starts up for the year next Monday, October 8th.  If you want to go, but don't have a ride, let me or Mr. Waugh know.  I'm sure they can find you one.  Two students that could also help you get there would be Tim Coulter (the guitar player in chapel) or Allison Henry.  Any of them can get you directions too.  Think about !

No comments:

Post a Comment