Thursday, August 9, 2012

Why are you here?


Why are you here?  It’s a question worth asking in anything you get involved with.  Could it be that God has you here at Lutheran West on purpose?  My guess is: yes. 
 
So, high school.  What do you want from it?  Ask yourself that question.  Don’t worry about what you’re supposed to say.  What do YOU want? 

Let’s start from the ground floor.  There is a survival element going on.  You may simply want someone to eat lunch with you or say hi to you.  Some of you came in with friends, some have none, but even if you know people, you may not have them in every class.  In this area, you need two things: patience and guts.  It will take you time to get comfortable.  You could look at this as a nerve-wracking tragedy or…you could see it as an adventure.  You’re going on the ride either way so you might as well find joy in it.  Either way, in time you, yes you, will actually have a table to sit at in the lunchroom and will have people to say hi to in less time than you expect. 

But you also need guts.  I’m an introvert, so I know this is hard, but look o u t w a r d.  Instead of waiting for someone to invite you to sit next to them in a class or at lunch, why don’t you do the asking?  At the end of class ask someone what the homework was again (even if you already know!).  Say hi to that upper classman who has a locker next to you.  If they grunt, oh well.  20 bucks says that next time they’ll respond.  When you step toward people you are saying to them “I care about more than myself.”  People will feel drawn to you and feel comfortable with you and, go figure, you’ll get the friends you were looking for.

BTW, I know this is majorly difficult for you if you consider yourself “quiet.”  Do it anyway.  You don’t have to be the life of the party.  You just have to make some “first move” gestures. 

Consider this:  You’re doing more here than just getting comfy.  You’re becoming more like Christ.  Paul wrote in one of his letters : “Don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.  Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.” Philippians 2: 3-4.

24 comments:

  1. I do consider myself as a shy person. i rather have people come up to me and say hi to me than me going up to them. But lately I've been not so shy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that this is a clear representation of what high school has been like so far. This gives me a ultra clear perspective on what it takes to make it through preferably alive. Aaron Aviles

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog, even just this singular post is relatively helpful. I did actually do several things mentioned in this blog to try and adjust into high school and it did help quite a bit. Being a more "go for it" sorta person as mentioned in the blog is also helpful in the social aspect. Though school is not only for social thing but also grades. Though I do believe god can help with that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I have come to Lutheran West I have been trying to talk to new people. I initially came knowing people from my old school, but I wanted to try and at least talk to new people. -Kaelyn Williams

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog is very interesting and helpful. I believe it will certainly help people of all ages who are timid and seek for this advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article relates to me in so many ways because i'm usually awkward unless people talk to me. I also like this article because it makes me feel like i'm not the only one who feels this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article is really helpful because I was like this last year and I always felt shy. This year I feel like a new person and the advice in this article is actually helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am normally shy person and don't seek out conversations with people I don't know. I think this advice will help me communicate with others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am normally very introverted, and won't talk make as much conversation with them until I get to know them better as a person. This article makes me feel better about being introverted because I know I am not the only person who does this. -M.M

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is motivating me to talk to more people and be more of an extrovert. But for more things i will try to talk to more people and make new/more friends. -C.B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am all most always shy and don't like to start conversations. This article really helped me see i am not the only shy one out there. -Scott H

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this article very interesting.It opened up different ideas for me to think about and do.-Madison Frye

    ReplyDelete
  13. This article opens up a lot of doors for people with not so good social skills. A lot of people just accept the friends that they have known for a while instead of trying to make more which is sad.- Jack Haggard

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed reading this article and getting different things out of it each time I read it.Before reading this story, I have actually invited someone to sit with us at lunch or say "hi" to a locker buddy. I like going out of the way to meet new friends and create new friendships. People know me as a shy person, but really I'm not, I just like to express my feelings in a different way. Even though it is early in the school year, I still am looking for new friends for the next four years here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed this article. Very true and accurate points. Sometimes making friends is scary, but its worth it in the end. It all starts with a simple "Hello."

    ReplyDelete
  17. This article has a really good point and a deep meaning. Hopefully I will learn from this and not be so shy from now on. -CPL

    ReplyDelete
  18. This article has a good meaning for the people out in the world that think they are worthless. Also some people should read this and think what are they going to do with their life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi yeah I was once shy but broke out of my shell. I will no longer be contained I want to have fun. I am still humble I try to make peace, but everything I do as good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There was a time when I was shy but that time has passed, I've turned over a new leaf. I became something new but I will stay humble and true to those that stick to me. -Ricardo Julian Carrucini Coreano Falcon Tories Rivera Sanchez Ruiz Lion- Ex.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a very shy person and i didn't think i was going to make any real friends at this school but its been a month and i've got to meet new people and feel kinda wanted

    ReplyDelete
  22. I came from a school that no one has ever come here from. I've made lots of friends and spread saget-ism to the whole school.

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I first walked in the doors of west I was super shy with people I didn't know. I was also a little scared because I had no clue what people were going to be like.

    ReplyDelete