Monday, June 15, 2015

Why can't I find happiness?

When I was a kid there were so many rusty cars on the road.  It was just normal.  Today, though, it's
really odd to see a rusty jalopy.

We live in a world where everything is new.  Old, at least in the tech world, is like what, 1 year old?

I was thinking about this sentence that Paul wrote back in the first century AD, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

It's so hard to remember that the really meaningful things and the most powerful things are really invisible.  We have so much flashy stuff and it's so hard to not get caught up in the newness of it all.

Paul, though, is writing to people who didn't have a Home Depot and therefore had homes that perpetually crumbled before them.  I wonder if it was easier for them to fix their eyes on what is unseen.  Maybe not, considering Paul wrote to them the above words.

So, you're a teen and the commercial world wants to convince you that your happiness resides in the newest whatever: iPhone, outfit from Forever21, video game, shoes.

Let Paul's lines call to your invisible self to place your vision, your hope, your desires in what is unseen.  I think you'll find that the order of the world will fall into place.

3 comments:

  1. Yea, 2 years and your hardware is considered outdated. It's a sad reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't actually have a comment, I just like to point out that I actually read your blog. Also, I don't like summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! I know I'm not as consistent with my posts in the summer, but they'll be some eventually!

      Sorry about the summer reading :(

      Delete