Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Les Miserables-The heart of God in the heart of a man

I'm finally reading the actual Les Miserables book after all these years.  It's the abridged version, but the real thing none the less.  Here are a few quotes I love so far (with some intros from me):

Early in the story, the bishop meets the convict Jean Valjean, and is the only person who will let him stay at his house.  The bishop makes some touching comments that challenge us, as Christ followers:

The Bishop, who was sitting close to him, gently touched his hand. "You could not help telling me who you were. This is not my house; it is the house of Jesus Christ. This door does not demand of him who enters whether he has a name, but whether he has a grief. You suffer, you are hungry and thirsty; you are welcome. And do not thank me; do not say that I receive you in my house. No one is at home here, except the man who needs a refuge. I say to you, who are passing by, that you are much more at home here than I am myself. Everything here is yours. What need have I to know your name? Besides, before you told me you had one which I knew."
The man opened his eyes in astonishment.    
"Really? You knew what I was called?"
"Yes," replied the Bishop, "you are called my brother."

The Bishop looked at him, and said,—
"You have suffered much?"
"Oh, the red coat, the ball on the ankle, a plank to sleep on, heat, cold, toil, the convicts, the thrashings, the double chain for nothing, the cell for one word; even sick and in bed, still the chain! Dogs, dogs are happier! Nineteen years! I am forty-six. Now there is the yellow passport. That is what it is like." 
   
"Yes," resumed the Bishop, "you have come from a very sad place. Listen. There will be more joy in heaven over the tear-bathed face of a repentant sinner than over the white robes of a hundred just men. If you emerge from that sad place with thoughts of hatred and of wrath against mankind, you are deserving of pity; if you emerge with thoughts of good-will and of peace, you are more worthy than any one of us."

Everyone else looks down on Valjean, but the bishop repeatedly addresses him with the respectful title "Monsieur".  Valjean remarks in his thoughts:

"Monsieur" to a convict is like a glass of water to one of the shipwrecked of the Medusa. Ignominy thirsts for consideration.

Valjean, expecting to be turned away insists on paying.  The bishop cuts him short to not only welcome him to stay, but to invite him to that most intimate of places: a spot at the dinner table.

The bishop goes on to request a new, luxurious bed prepared for this dirty, hardened man.  This bishop is the heart of God incarnate.

"I will pay. What is that to me? I have money. I am very weary; twelve leagues on foot; I am very
hungry. Are you willing that I should remain?"

"Madame Magloire," said the Bishop, "you will set another place."

Every one has cast me out. Are you willing to receive me? Is this an inn? Will you give me something to eat and a bed? Have you a stable?"

"Madame Magloire," said the Bishop, "you will put white sheets on the bed in the alcove."

No comments:

Post a Comment