Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Talladega Christmas Nights

In the words of Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights:

"Dear 8 pound, 6 ounce newborn infant Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just a little infant and so cuddly, but still omnipotent, we just tank you for all the races I've won and the 21.2 million dollars--woo!"

An argument ensues in this part of the movie when Carley and others remind Ricky that Jesus did grow up.  He, however, insists that he likes the baby Jesus best.

The baby Jesus idea is captured so well in the hymn, "Away in a manger."  Yet, there's some interesting differences between baby and grown-up Jesus.

Baby Jesus is so sweet, tender and mild.
Grown-up Jesus is offensive.

Baby Jesus, according to the song, "No crying He makes."
Grown-up Jesus sweats blood.

Baby Jesus is "asleep on the hay."
Grown-up Jesus has friends who can't stay awake while he breaks down in fear while praying in a garden.

Baby Jesus lays down "his sweet head"
Grown-up Jesus gets thorns in his head.

Baby Jesus has "stars in the sky [that] look down where he lay."
Grown-up Jesus causes a blacked-out noon day sky and an earthquake that tears the curtain the temple.

When I was in my early teens I liked a baby Jesus faith.  I could pray when I wanted to, go to church and like the Christmas carols, maybe even feel a little tingly, but then go on my way and forget about it.

I wonder what happened to those wise men.  They come to visit the baby Jesus, give him sweet gifts, but then disappear and never return.

That's a comfortable religion.  You sacrifice a little (sit through boring church services) and then go on your way.

But here's what excited me: following a problematic, challenging, in-your-face-with-his-love, grown-up Jesus.

When a friend told me in high school that, instead of dropping off gifts and leaving, I could become a modern-day disciple and follow Him, not just a star, I threw all my chips in and never looked back.

So, yes, "be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay close by me forever and love me, I pray," but also, TAKE me with you, Lord Jesus, I ask you today to change my life with Jesus-adventure I pray."


No comments:

Post a Comment